Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Puritan Prayer

I approach thee with encouragements derived from thy character,
for I am not left to feel after thee
 in the darkness of my nature,
nor to worship thee as the unknown God.
I cannot find find out thy perfections,
but I know thou art good,
ready to forgive, plenteous in mercy.
Thou hast displayed thy wisdom, power,
and goodness in all thy works,
and hast revealed thy will in the Scripture of truth.
Thou has caused it to be preserved, translated,
published, multiplied,
so that all men may possess it and find thee in it.
Here I see thy greatness and thy grace,
thy pity and thy rectitude,
thy mercy and thy truth,
thy being and men's hearts;
Through it thou hast magnified thy name,
and favoured mankind with the gospel.
Have mercy on me, for I have ungratefully received thy benefits,
 little improved my privileges,
made light of spiritual things,
disregarded thy messages, contended with examples of the good,
rebukes of conscience, admonitions of friends,
leadings of providence.
I deserve that they kingdom be taken away from me.
 Lord, I confess  my sin with a feeling, lamentation,
a broken heart,
a contrite spirit, self-abhorrence,
self-condemnation, self-despair.
Give me relief by Jesus my hope, faith in his name of Saviour,
forgiveness by his blood,
strength by his presence,
holiness by his Spirit:  And let me love thee with all my heart.--The Valley of Vision

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you!